Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 11 - September 17

Weekly Totals ~ Time: 7:26:44 Distance: 35.51 mi. Vertical: 7,122 ft.
Weekly Averages ~ Time: 1:29:21 Distance: 7.10 mi. Vertical: 1,424 ft.


Every day that I step into a worn-in, possibly new, pair of running shoes I feel like I'm stepping in the right direction. I don't know where my feet will actually take me, I mean, I have a general idea, but I don't know how I'm going to feel as I navigate the loosely planned course. What's going to bring me joy? What's going to bring me pain? Am I going to feel anything? -Is being numb even possible? Seriously, isn't the absence of feeling (numbness) a type of feeling?- Regardless, I cringe when I hear ballyhoo from someone attempting to tell me they run because it feels good; because running is happy, running is fun, running is...none of that. Maybe this is too judgmental, too defining, to black-and-white; or maybe, everyone else reading this is thinking the same thing, but no one really wants to say it. I'm not positing that running can't entitle a person to feeling jovial, but it's an endless struggle for understanding that drives the runner to push-on, to be patient, to admit defeat, and to embrace victory. It's not telling everyone you smile every time you run...what a joke.

In "The Southern Haunting of Truman Capote" Marie Rudisill, Truman Capote's aunt, describes Holly Golightly, the curious youthful socialite in Truman Capote's brilliant, "Breakfast at Tiffany's", and another one of Capote's less famous, Miss Lily Jane Bobbit, as "unattached, unconventional wanderers, dreamers in pursuit of some ideal of happiness." I can't think of a better set of descriptions to describe a runner. The ideals transcend pace, time, and distance achievements and define a foundation that can erroneously get lost in an effort to classify, organize, and rank oneself against another.

This week has been a struggle to conform to a slower intensity, a more tame undulation. And mid-week I was bonking from lack of interaction, until I threw away the silly ratings that we all seem to confuse with success. Thursday just refueled things, and Friday's and Saturday's run solidified the cautious approach to training I've adopted. I'm feeling confident and relaxed about the weeks and months ahead of me, one foot step at a time.

Sunday, September 11 ~ Rock Climbing at Marymoor
Time: n/a
Distance: n/a
Vertical: n/a



Monday, September 12 ~ 'Round the Block
Time: 0:25:30
Distance: 3.01 mi.
Vertical: 74 ft.

Recovery Run. It's recovery week and unlike the last recovery week I'm actually going to apply a controlled, focused effort toward finishing the week feeling strong. Pounded out an easy 3 miles. I think my Heart Rate monitor must of come loose. Says at one point I hit 173 bpm, yet I don't remember feeling this at all. I'm going to judge my intensity based on my heart rate, this week. Average should stay around 130 - 140 with a max of 160 at any given time.

Tuesday, September 13 ~ Coal Creek Tr. - Cougar Mtn.
Time: 1:00:49
Distance: 4.66 mi.
Vertical: 508 ft.

Recovery Run...Hike...sort of. Yeah, I hate recovery weeks. I know my body needs the rest, but my mind is restless. I ran some, hiked some, explored some, face planted...a fall during a slow run. I rarely fall during fast runs, but gees, the slow pace allows my mind to wander too far from the trail and then the trail reminds to stay focused. Took a lot of pictures, so that was enjoyable. HRM needs a new battery. a 183 average on flat ground at 12:00 min./mi. pace, I don't think so. Took it off after the 2nd mile.
Wednesday, September 14 ~ Off/Rest Day
Time: n/a
Distance: n/a
Vertical: n/a


Thursday, September 15 ~ Red Town TH - De Leo Wall - Cougar Mtn.
Time: 0:47:26
Distance: 4.26 mi.
Vertical: 662 ft.


Recovery Run. I reverted back to some old school running, today. Wake-up, drink a little coffee, bathroom break, and within 30 minutes of climbing out of my sleeping back I'm on the trail running. My mind is slow, my coordination is slightly off, but waking up on a run elevates awareness and each step just keeps getting better, and better. Pace was easy, captured a view pictures, and felt a renewed sense of being. I can't wait to resume normal training, next week.




Friday, September 16
Time: 1:47:57
Distance: 11.48 mi.
Vertical: 2,963 ft.


Base Run. Legs at the end of a recovery week are a bit sluggish, I think due to lack of use. And my mental focus during the climbs seems to be on the slower end, too. But I hit the trail at a consistent intensity. Felt great, looking forward to tomorrow's 'Nighttime Mountain Trail Run'.


Saturday, September 17
Time: 2:45:10
Distance: 12.11 mi.
Vertical: 2,915 ft.


Fun Run. Started out at 5:00 AM and ran up the mountain with a headlamp to catch a gray sunrise. Enjoy a cup of java up top and then barreled down just fast enough to slip, jam my thumb, cut my neck on a rock, and drive straight to work for a full day.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I agree that sometimes taking it slow can be difficult and changing how you train is impossible, but you seem to be doing great so far!

    P.S. Love all the pics

    ReplyDelete