Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 14 - August 20

Weekly Totals ~ Time: 5:22:00 Distance: 24.38 mi. Vertical: 9,557 ft.
Weekly Averages ~ Time: 1:47:20 Distance: 8.13 mi. Vertical: 3,186 ft.


Recovery. This week has been a roller coaster of training confusion. In the past I have always taken my training in four week increments, three weeks of build and one week of rest. I think the overall goal is to stave off any hint of over-training. Sometimes it's to let the mind relax, and other times it's to let the body heal. But it's become apparent to me, this week, that recovery weeks are still hard work. I reduced my mileage substantially, however, my vertical went way up. Possibly, too far. I want, ideally, and only for now, to have this amount of vertical spread over 45+ miles, not 24 miles. And definitely over more than just three runs. I needed to get out there, though. I needed to enjoy the spectacularly gorgeous weather that we've been having. Sunny, 55 F - 65 F, and the slightest of winds. I took way too many pictures this week, and courtesy my photographing exuberance this week's post is full of pictures. I'll try to dial things back in the following weeks. It's tough to look at some of these pictures because they just seem 2-D. You don't hear the playful humming of distant birds, or the restless wind cascading through the tall evergreens that cover the mountain side like a carpet, or hear the sun rays violently reflecting off the snow. The pictures are beautiful, but they don't feel real when I look back on them. I think this is the draw of trail running, for me. Trail running is my chance to feel reality. And recovery week's should never limit the experience. My legs don't feel as recovered as I'd want them, but my mind feels refreshed.


Sunday, August 14 ~Marymoor Park ~ Rock-Climbing
Time: n/a
Distance: n/a
Vertical: n/a



Monday, August 15 ~ Off day. Bummer.
Time: n/a
Distance: n/a
Vertical: n/a


Not sure what happened, today. No running. Guess it's a recovery day.


Tuesday, August 16 ~ Ira Springs Tr. to Bandera Mtn.
Time: 1:35:16
Distance: 6.55 mi.
Vertical: 3,141 ft.


Recovery Week Run #1. It's going to be tough to keep my mileage, vertical, and time down, this week. I ran up the Ira Springs Tr. to Bandera Mtn. and the view from 5200' was amazing. 3100' of gain, in total, lots of hikers, and 1/4mi. of boulder scrambling. A good start to an easy week, I'd say.



Wednesday, August 17 ~ Pacific Crest Trail to Kendall Katwalk
Time: 2:22:04
Distance: 12.56 mi.
Vertical: 3,022 ft.


Recovery Week Run #2, Yes, I know...recovery week, right? Regardless, today, the run was picturesque, in fact, 60+ pictures worth, ha. 3000' of vertical gain, ran across the Katwalk (ridge with a 1200' drop) and back. This route is one of the most beautiful trails I've ever run.




Thursday, August 18
Time: n/a
Distance: n/a
Vertical: n/a


Friday, August 19
Time: 1:24:39
Distance: 5.26 mi.
Vertical: 3,394 ft.


Recovery Run #3. I'm really not embracing this week to rest. The weather is too beautiful. I planned to ascend to Mount Defiance by way of Mason Lake and then to Bandera, but a wrong turn and a tortures jog through overgrowth and all I walked away with is someone's lost Marmot hat, cut up legs and only one mountain ascent today. Decided to hike the descent and save the legs...rest week, right?



Saturday, August 20 ~ Rest Day.
Time: n/a
Distance: n/a
Vertical: n/a

1 comment:

  1. I love you for your the ability to, bring out the sheer romance of the pain in running and the rugged wilderness.keep going bud.

    ReplyDelete