Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 19 - June 25

Weekly Totals: Distance: 18.31 mi. Time: 5:23:12 Vertical: 5,587 ft.

The numbers just seem small, this week. And truthfully they are, but it's patience that built Rome and patience that builds high-mileage, injury free weeks later in the training.

Sunday, June 19 ~ Cougar Mountain ~ Redtown Trail Head to Coal Creek Trail
Distance: 3.78 mi.
Time: 0:48:04
Vertical: 449 ft.

A great recovery run with LK and Charlie on a beautifully maintained trail. At the trail head is an old, abandoned, and very tempting coal mine. Every time I pass by the smell engulfs my nostrils like smoke from a campfire.











Monday, June 20 ~  Cougar Mountain ~ Wilderness Creek Trail to Wilderness Cliffs Trail
Distance: 7.03 mi.
Time:1:35:07
Vertical: 2,608 ft.

After an enticing recovery run yesterday, my legs felt recovered, springy, and my mind free and adventurous. I wanted to run about 10 miles, but as I started to muse over why I set a mileage requirement when I know better I realized that I was losing sight of how to run. More importantly how I run, by feel. I love numbers, and I love to analyze what I've done, but it's too early in the season to start putting requirements on training. Post-run I didn't run the distance I had originally planned, partly because at the second summit, just after the turn-around, I erroneously tweaked my ankle and after a 2 mile descent it still wasn't feeling well so I called it day.











Tuesday, June 21 ~ Mount Rainier ~ Paradise to Panorama Point (hiking)
Distance: 4.00 mi.
Time: 2:15:00
Vertical: 1,309 ft.

If the day is clear, you can always assume I'm at Mount Rainier. This mountain just captivates my attention and is a great way to break up the training by adding in some post-holing up the hillside. The snow was mushy and it was packed with tourist. I guess I added to the tourist total, but I like to think I've been here enough to be considered a semi-local, at this point.














Wednesday, June 22 ~ Off day
Distance: n/a
Time: n/a
Vertical: n/a

It's too early in the season to leave myself fatigue, so mandated off days will be around for at least another 4 weeks. <sigh> I really don't like off days.

Thursday, June 23 ~  Cougar Mountain ~ Wilderness Creek Trail to Wilderness Peak

Distance: 3.50
Time: 0:45:01
Vertical: 1,221 ft.

The run felt great tonight. The sun was slowly fading over the horizon, but the closer I got to the peak the brighter it was. The hill running has felt this good for a while. I'm glad things are taking form. I'll probably take the rest of the week off, just to preserve the, "I can do more..." feeling.











Friday, June 24~ Off day
Distance: n/a
Time: n/a
Vertical: n/a

Saturday, June 25~ Off day
Distance: n/a
Time: n/a
Vertical: n/a

Overall, the week went well. The running is starting to take priority it's just the being patient with it that wrecks my mind. C'est La Vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment