Tuesday, January 24, 2012

January 15 - January 21

Weekly Totals ~ Time: 7:53:56 Distance: 46.13 mi. Vertical: 4,911 ft.
Weekly Averages ~ Time: 0:59:14 Distance: 5.77 mi. Vertical: 614 ft.


Needed to ease things back at the beginning of the week, so the mileage is on par, but the vertical is definitely sub-par for my norm. The weather this week has been fantastic. I'll never understand why people bury themselves inside watching the news channel that reports on everyone else being outside and why they should be inside. Sure, getting in the car and driving like conditions are dry when there is snow and ice on the ground isn't the best move. Hell, I even slid off the road...going uphill. No car damage but it did solidify that two feet are better than four wheels in winter conditions; at least for me. I had so much fun interacting with the weather and environment around me, this week. The trails were lonely, and full of curiosity.

The next two and half weeks will be tough. I'm going to pull myself away from the trails and mountains and hit the asphalt most days because the Hilton Head Half-Marathon incorporates nothing that I train on, it's flat and on the road. I have a feeling the bridge is going to be the only place that I'm truly comfortable. Good thing the race goes over it twice! I have no idea how I'll perform during this race. I envision getting to a point that's sustainable for 13.1 miles to 20 miles and not being able to really pick it up. It's just a product of the type of training I've etched into my physiology from this past year. I'm looking forward to seeing how 10:00 min./mi. up mountains translates into 13.1 miles that's completely flat. Evidence of a good amount of difference in pace is in my 'recovery' runs, which are done on the road and 'flat'. I generally can run at an easy intensity between 7:15 min./mi and 7:45 min./mi. and feel noticeably recovered the next day. How fast the pace can go is going to be my real interest. I don't do a lot of work on foot speed these days, and my leg turn-over rate will surely meet a plateau point before my cardio. 13.1 miles isn't a big deal in terms of mileage, quickly covering 13.1 miles is my going to be my nemesis  Elevation gain is probably around 50' to 100' which presents a problem for training unless I want to run a 1.50 mile out-n-back that is essential flat...not going to happen. Basically, I'm just going to make sure I'm used to an increased foot turn-over rate, stay off the major climbs, and stay on the road. I'm not going to 'peak' for this race, or really any race this year. I'll take two days of easier running right before and an easy day after, but other than that no change. I'm really excited about racing something so different than what I'm used to and more importantly, and the reason I'm flying across the country for a half-marathon is that I'm going to be able to visit with good friends and family that I haven't seen since May 2011. Why? Just because. The pictures below aren't specific to the day they're next to. Enjoy.

"all men and women in our state [should] enjoy the same privileges that are so important in my life," - Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen

My home state [Washington] is on it's way to join the ranks of six other states that support same-sex marriage. This is a huge step in civil rights and should be celebrated by all and continued by others. A person should never be jailed by society by being forced to fulfill the belief that gender is the foundation that facilitates an appropriate medium of companionship. To say, "you may love only your gender opposite or no one at all," nullifies the patriotic claim etched in the hearts and minds of so many Americans, "give me freedom or give me death;" if we believe the later and enforce the former than we are all living dead. To find out more on how you can become involved click the link below.

FreedomtoMarry.org

Sunday, January 15 ~ Home
Time:0:43:15
Distance:5.65 mi.
Vertical:294 ft.
Base Run. I ran through what felt like a snow globe, today. 1in. to 3 in. on roads around the casa. It was a tough shoe decision, but I went with the Skecher GoRuns and they will receive an A in the "snow on road" department.
Monday, January 16 ~ Cougar Mtn.
Time:0:49:03
Distance:3.44 mi.
Vertical:1,294 ft.
Recovery Run. 1,300' of Gain. It was a stop, go, run, hike, take pictures recovery day in the mountains. My body is definitely feeling fatigued, so I'll be playing more than anything for the next few days on the trails.
Tuesday, January 17 ~ Home
Time:0:26:50
Distance:3.15 mi.
Vertical:84 ft.
Recovery Run. My legs are feeling much better, today. Still an uncomfortable amount of fatigue, and heart rate seemed a little high for the pace, but I should be good by tomorrow to hit the snowy trails. The slushy sidewalks won't cut it, tomorrow. Even if I need to hike more than run I'll be outside in the mountains for the predicted snowstorm.
Wednesday, January 18 ~ Cougar Mtn.
Time:1:34:49
Distance:7.09 mi.
Vertical:1,047 ft.
Base Run. The clouds heading East are much lighter now that they've left 6 - 10+ inches of snow on the Issaquah Alps and the rest of Seattle, WA. The snow was great to run through, and the further you get into the wild the more likely you'll be blazing the trail. Turned out to be the case after a mere mile into the woods. Took some great videos and great photos. 
Thursday, January 19 ~ Home + Cougar Mtn. (Run #1)
Time:2:00:04
Distance:10.11 mi.
Vertical:1,411 ft.
Base Run. After two hours, one mountain, and several down trees I managed 10 miles of running. I know "bad weather" is suppose to keep you inside, but seriously this {Washington} is the best running in the country, right now. Don't hunker down people, Tune In, Turn On, and GET OUTSIDE!!
Thursday, January 19 ~ Home (Run #2)
Time:0:36:57
Distance:4.01 mi.
Vertical:134 ft.
Recovery Run. The roads are a mess, but not as messy as the sidewalks. After a few 'almost' sprains, because of hiding ice chunks below the seemingly soft slush, I jumped into the middle of the road and ran straight down the yellow lines.
Friday, January 20 ~ Home
Time:1:11:42
Distance:9.00 mi.
Vertical:509 ft.
Base Run. It was tough to get out the door, but after the first mile I went exploring through the night and the planned 5 mile run became 9 miles. It was just nice to get out and breath in the cold, but slowly warming, air.
Saturday, January 21 ~ Home
Time:0:31:16
Distance:3.69 mi.
Vertical:139 ft.
Recovery Run. 140' of Gain. I had much bigger, err...longer, plans today, but when I got home from a shortened work day I had just finished a burrito, sat down my eyes shut and I woke up 45 minutes later and decided my body was telling me, "Only 3 miles, tonight!" It was a good run, sidewalks are awful so street running is a bit dangerous, but the strobing headlamp seemed to help. I didn't get hit, so that's a plus.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic video. Has all the thrills and romance of running in the wild and snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The trails were in top-notch shape for a couple of days. Snow covered, cold, and lonely. Too bad snow melts.

      Delete